- 1 Best Water Filter Pitchers – (Recommended Picks)
- 1.1 1. Waterdrop Chubby 10-cup Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.2 2. BWT 5 Cup WaterFilterPitcher
- 1.3 3. Brita Everyday Pitcher
- 1.4 4. Ehm Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 1.5 5. AquaGear Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.6 6. AquaBliss 10-Cup WaterFilterPitcher
- 1.7 7. Nakii Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.8 8. LEVOIT Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.9 9. Brita Stream Water Pitcher
- 2 Types of Water Filter Pitchers
- 3 Water Filter Pitchers Certifications
- 4 How to Choose Your First Water Filter Pitcher?
- 5 Features of Water Filter Pitchers
- 6 Do Water Filter Pitchers Remove Bacteria?
- 7 Who Needs a Water Filter Pitcher?
- 8 Signs That You Need a Water Filter Pitcher
- 9 Maintenance Of a Water Filter Pitcher
- 10 Installation of The Water Filter Pitcher
- 11 Safety Tips For The Product
- 12 Drawbacks of Water Filter Pitchers
- 13 Best Water Filter Pitchers Comparison Chart
- 14 Wrap Up
Sick and tired of dragging around 1-gallon jugs of water? Not feeling fond of expensive water dispensers? Then the ideal solution for you is a water filter pitcher. Buying a big enough pitcher to serve the entire family will reduce the monthly expenses on water bottles.
Moreover, finding the best water filter pitcher for your household also means less plastic use and less plastic bottles demand. And what is better than helping the environment while helping your family drink safer water?
You should aim at cutting the plastic waste and cutting down your monthly expenses at once. Hopefully, our water filter pitcher reviews will guide you through choosing the best product for you.
Waterdrop Chubby 10-cup Water Filter Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
BWT 5 Cup WaterFilterPitcher
|View On Amazon|
Brita Everyday Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
Ehm Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
AquaGear Water Filter Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
AquaBliss 10-Cup WaterFilterPitcher
|View On Amazon|
Nakii Water Filter Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
LEVOIT Water Filter Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
Brita Stream Water Pitcher
|View On Amazon|
Best Water Filter Pitchers – (Recommended Picks)
When you want the best of both worlds – eco-friendly, and an affordable solution for safe drinking water for your family, investing in such a pitcher is the ideal choice. We’ve gathered some that are worth considering. Here they are in no particular order:
1. Waterdrop Chubby 10-cup Water Filter Pitcher
Here is one pitcher which is pretty darn useful as it will get rid of contaminants that others may not. For instance, with this product, you will enjoy fluoride-free water, which is a rarity. The life of the filter is also pretty impressive as we are talking about 200 gallons of purified water before a replacement filter is required. Most other filters won’t last longer than 50-60 gallons. And the best part is that the jug will notify you when a replacement is due.
The body of the unit is made out of BPA-free plastic, and a cute little functional perk is the opening on the lid. You don’t have to open the whole pitcher to pour water. The technology of the filter is also something to highlight as Waterdrop has incorporated the silver-loaded activated carbon. It adds silver nitrate to your water, fighting off additional contaminants and boosting the filter’s effectiveness.
- Functional capacity – 10 cups
- Even though the name of the unit is “Chubby”, it should still fit on your fridge door.
- Easy to fill without having to open the lid
- Excellent value for money
- It is made in China
- Does not come with replacement filters
2. BWT 5 Cup WaterFilterPitcher
This product is from Austria, Europe, rated 4,6/5. It is the cheapest one on the list, but it is good value for money as it comes with additional filters, and you can use the pitcher for months without worrying about changing it. This pitcher has won several awards, including an EESC European Award.
What makes this product stand out in its price range category is the fact that it adds magnesium in your water. And magnesium is an essential mineral for our bodies, but unfortunately, most of us have a magnesium deficiency. The fact that this pitcher adds it to the water makes it worth considering owning.
Like any other filter pitcher, it removes heavy metals, chlorine smell. Unlike the rest of the pitchers on our list, this one holds only 5 cups of water.
- The package includes three filters for the pitcher.
- Mineralizes water with beneficial magnesium.
- Filters water faster than other pitchers.
- The pitcher comes with a pre-installed filter, ready to use.
- It doesn’t filter lead from water.
- The filter takes up too much space and leaves little room for water.
- Filter change reminder isn’t digital, and you have to keep track on your own.
3. Brita Everyday Pitcher
Like all other Brita pitchers, the Brita Everyday Pitcher is also made from BPA-free plastic. It’s an affordable filter pitcher that will bring your family pure and odorless drinking water.
This product comes with Brita’s Longlast Filter, which supposedly lasts three times longer than a regular one and is the equivalent of nearly 900 plastic water bottles.
It’s a new and improved model of the Brita Pitcher and does its job. That being said, the pitcher is a bit larger than previous models, and when it’s filled with water, it can weigh a lot and should be carried with two hands.
Here are some pros and cons to consider before choosing a filter pitcher:
- The sleek design makes it convenient to put away in the fridge and doesn’t allow for spills.
- Stores the water fresh without getting weird smells from the refrigerator.
- Ideal for a first filter pitcher.
- The filter is easy to replace and doesn’t cost much.
- An affordable option for the family dinner table.
- No filter change indicator.
- No flip-up cap for easy refill.
- Must wait for all of the water to filter before pouring because the unfiltered water might leak.
4. Ehm Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
Here’s the Ehm Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher – an ionizing water pitcher. It holds as much as 3.5 liters, which is a lot more than the other products on our list.
The price is in the mid-range, but this pitcher has one significant advantage over the other products – it improves the water’s pH levels.
Alkaline water is said to be safer to drink as it’s beneficial for our bodies and supposedly doesn’t contain many pollutants. However, there isn’t a pH level tester included in the package and no way to test if the pH changes.
This alkaline water pitcher also removes the chlorine smell and microorganisms using a micro multi-level filtration system. Its cartridge is made from tourmaline ceramic, which is also beneficial to our health.
- Worth the investment as it provides your family with healthy alkaline water.
- Great to use for drinking, cooking, and preparing meals for children.
- Replacement filters are affordable.
- It saves you money on ionizing water machine.
- Issues with the lid might occur after some use, like not closing correctly.
- The filter may clog more often than others.
- The product should be handled gingerly as it may break easily.
5. AquaGear Water Filter Pitcher
The AquaGear water filter pitcher is more expensive than the others on the list. There are many good reasons to invest your money in this particular product, but probably the best one is that the company makes a donation for every unit sold. They deliver six months’ worth of drinking water to people in need.
The second reason to consider buying this pitcher is that its filter is made in the USA. This might also be a reason why the price is higher than other products’ as most of them are made with Chinese filters.
Equipped with a five-stage filtration system, it eliminates the pungent chlorine smell from the water, lead, mercury, small contaminants, and others.
- It has a lifetime guarantee.
- Efficient same-day customer support for questions or reporting issues.
- Removes fluoride.
- Closes tightly and prevents spillage.
- The filtration process is fast, and if the water is super filthy, it might still taste bad.
- The lid doesn’t stay open; you have to use a finger to hold it while filling it.
- Might leak while pouring water into a glass.
6. AquaBliss 10-Cup WaterFilterPitcher
The AquaBliss Water Filter Pitcher is a well-designed and compact product that turns hard water into soft water. The effects of its purpose to filter and purify water can definitely be felt when drinking from it.
The product is highly efficient in eliminating funky odors from the water as well. The design is clean and simple, as a water filter pitcher should be – it’s easy to assemble, disassemble, and clean. It can fit on a refrigerator door, but it might be too high for a smaller than average fridge.
The filter can last up to 4 months, but it depends on the level of use it gets, so this cannot be fully guaranteed. The good news is that the filters are not expensive.
It’s in a lower price range than some others and has a 4.5/5 rating that can testify on the excellent value for money.
- Full money-back guarantee.
- Affordable replacement filters can easily be purchased.
- It not only filters but softens the water as well.
- When the pitcher is full to the brim, it might spill water while carrying it around.
- The bottom rubber band might fall off easier than it should.
7. Nakii Water Filter Pitcher
This product, the Nakii Water Filter Pitcher, is definitely worth considering. It is not an expensive pitcher, but it works and is convenient to put on the fridge door.
The main reason people seem to buy this product is the fact that its filter lasts much longer than others. The Nakii Water Filter should last up to 4 months, whereas others last about two months.
This pitcher is efficient in removing odors from water and making it tastier. This is something we can feel. What’s not noticeable is the fact that the unit eliminates particles that we cannot see or sense. It reduces a high percentage of sediment, lead, rust, limescale, chlorine, mercury, copper, etc.
For the features it puts on the table, this product gives us good value for money. It purifies tap water and makes the water taste a lot softer.
- It has a 120-day warranty for damages caused by daily use.
- Regularly tested product.
- Certified pieces are used in the pitcher and the filter including BPA-free materials.
- It has a long-lasting filter – up to 4 months or 150 gallons of water.
- The filter might start making noise after a while.
- The product is fragile and should be treated with care.
- After extended use, the filtration process might slow down.
8. LEVOIT Water Filter Pitcher
The LEVOIT Water Filter Pitcher doesn’t cost a lot but does a lot of work. The price to quality ratio might surprise some people. The main reason the product is a best seller is that it offers a 5-layer filtration process of tap water.
It filters the most common heavy metals found in tap water (e.g., mercury, aluminum, copper, lead, and cadmium). The unit also removes unpleasant odors, pollutants, chlorine odor, and limescale. This is perfect for coffee makers and coffee machines.
If you want a better taste of food and coffee for your family, this might be the product you’re looking for. Its overall reviews give it a 4.3/5 rating, which is surprisingly good for a product that is fairly cheap.
It’s a good pitcher for its price, it gives you softer, tastier water. Read the instructions for assembling, cleaning, and using it, so it works properly.
- Simple and easy to clean and maintain.
- It has an indicator to show you when the filter needs to be replaced.
- It has a filtration speed adjustment.
- The battery lasts up to 3 years.
- Filter indicator issues might appear after a while.
- Must carefully and thoroughly read the instructions first.
9. Brita Stream Water Pitcher
The Brita Stream Water Pitcher definitely deserves its 4,2/5 rating. It is relatively easy to assemble and to clean. This is an excellent choice for impatient people and families with children.
The most significant advantage this pitcher has is the immediate filtration with the Filter-As-You-Pour technology. Usually, these products take some time to filter the water and indicate to you when it’s done. With Brita Stream Water Pitcher, this isn’t the case, however, some people complain that it pours out slowly after the water has been filtered.
The size of the pitcher is an advantage as it holds 8 to 10 cups. The filter can be used for up to 40 gallons of water and then needs to be replaced, which is approximately every two months. Luckily, the filter is easy to replace.
Your family and guests will be able to enjoy freshwater without the chlorine taste and unpleasant odors.
- Easily fits in the fridge, even on the door.
- Made from BPA-free plastic.
- Tightly sealed lid, no leakage.
- Works only with Brita Stream Filter.
- It doesn’t filter fluoride.
- The flow rate might slow down as the water flow decreases.
Types of Water Filter Pitchers
Not all water filter pitchers are the same. Just like there are different water purification methods, different brands, and manufacturers. Some use just one filtration method, and some use a combination.
There are five methods for achieving pure water:
- Basic filtration – filtration systems made out of ceramic, glass fiber, hard-block carbon, or similar, are used to filter out significant water contaminants.
- Distillation – this method is based on separating two or more ingredients from a mixture though evaporation.
- Ion exchange – this is the method used to treat hard water in which contaminants are dissolved.
- Carbon absorption – it uses a carbon mesh to remove heavy metals and pollutants such as asbestos, lead, chlorine, and more.
- Reverse osmosis – this method uses pressure to move the water through a special membrane that separates the chemicals and heavy metals from the water. Check out our reverse osmosis system reviews for more information.
So which method do water filter pitchers use? Which water filter pitcher removes the most contaminants? There is no single best pitcher that will suit every household and family. The reason is that the water is different in different regions and its pollutants are not the same.
This means that you need to have your water tested first, know what’s giving its bad taste and smell, and then look for a pitcher that will remove the chemicals from it.
Even though there are various water filtration options, most often, pitchers use the carbon absorption method to separate the heavy metals from the water.
Other products, such as the so-called ‘alkaline water filters, ’ use the ion exchange method to purify water.
Some, but not all, pitchers can eliminate chemicals, pollutants, and metals at the same time.
Water Filter Pitchers Certifications
When looking to buy a water filter pitcher, apart from the type of filtration system, you should also pay attention to certifications. Products with certifications have been tested and approved for release to the public, while products that do not possess any certifications may not be that useful and safe to use.
There are two leading independent organizations in the USA that test and certify such products.
One is the Water Quality Association (WQA), and another is the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF). These are the two main certifications to look for in products that work with water. Both organizations are independent and are similar. Both are concerned with health and safety regulations in food, water filtration technology, and other consumer products.
Their tests are based on the following:
- Lab test results;
- Use of approved plastics;
- Verified claims and labels;
If the water filter pitchers have either or both of these certifications, that means that the plastic is BPA-free and safe to store water in it and that it meets their guidelines for water safety.
That being said, there are different NSF standards and certifications based on the type of chemicals or pollutants that are being removed.
Some examples are:
- NSF/ANSI 42 – a filter meeting this standard reduces chlorine, unpleasant tastes, odors.
- NSF/ANSI 44 – this certifies that the filter softens the water.
- NSF/ANSI 55 – a filter that meets this standard must reduce lead, VOCs, giardia, and more.
How to Choose Your First Water Filter Pitcher?
Ask yourself what you need and want from a water pitcher? Does the design matter? Does the cost matter? Do you have time to do research? Did a friend of yours recommend a particular product?
Of course, cost matters. Not only is it essential to look for a pitcher you can afford but also one that will do what it’s supposed to do. More expensive pitchers usually mean that they remove more pollutants from the water, or they do it faster than others. There are also other things that you need to consider when choosing a filter pitcher.
- Many factors form a price for a water filter pitcher – the plastics, the filtration system, the size, etc. But as you might find out design also matters. Some are slimmer than others and fit comfortably on a fridge’s door, and some don’t.
- A second important aspect is to keep an eye for the certificate the manufacturer provides for their product, as we said above.
- Read reviews on third-party sites, not only on the manufacturer’s website.
Then, combining all of these points can help you make the right decision.
Features of Water Filter Pitchers
Most, if not all, claim to do the same thing – purify your water. However, some do it better than others. Some have additional features and extras that play a role in the price.
Key features you can be on the lookout for are:
- Filter speed – it can take anywhere from one to fifteen or more minutes to filter water. All filters were not created equal, and they do their job differently. This may or may not be an issue depending on your patience.
- The number of filters – some products have more than one filter and can eliminate more than one metal or chemical from your tap water. It’s important to know what your water contains so you know if you need such a pitcher at all. Having two filters makes the products more expensive than the ones with only one filter.
- Boosting water quality – some products use ion exchange to not only purify your water but to release valuable minerals in it and make it even more nutritional.
- Electronic indicator for filter change – it is definitely more helpful to have a sign telling you when to change your filter. This is a great convenience to have on your water pitcher as you probably won’t remember when you last changed it and how long to use it. Some products have it, so if you want to have it, you can find it.
- Material – this is should also be a top priority to consider. The plastic should be BPA-free, durable, and even better if it’s food-grade material. It should be sturdy, from thick enough plastic, and not easily cracked.
When browsing an online store, you can use a water filter pitcher comparison feature when you’re divided between several pitchers and can’t decide. This way, it’s easier to see the benefits and drawbacks of each product and make an informed decision.
We have some reviews on under sink water filters as well. If you’re looking for a faster filtration system, you can look into them.
Do Water Filter Pitchers Remove Bacteria?
While all or at least most eliminate chlorine and some heavy metals from the tap water, not all of them remove lead, bacteria, pesticides, parasites.
Who Needs a Water Filter Pitcher?
Having access to clean water is essential for everyone’s health. Who doesn’t want affordable, clean, tasty water to drink? Investing in such a product will save you money in the long run and will also provide healthy water straight from the tap. Water filter pitchers are suitable for households, offices, restaurants, cafes, etc.
Other reasons to invest in water filter pitcher:
- You’re sick and tired of carrying plastic bottles and tubes up and down the stairs. And also wish to save money on buying bottled water. Remember that using reusable filtered water bottles is another alternative to disposable plastic bottles.
- You live in an area where the tap water tastes and smells terrible. Because even if it doesn’t smell or taste bad doesn’t mean it’s clean or safe to drink it. But if your tap water has funky odor and taste, then you definitely need a water filter pitcher.
- You are a coffee lover. You will love using a water filter pitcher for coffee. Your coffee maker will also thank you for it.
- You have children and want to prepare their meals with safe water. Large families would love not spending tons of money on bottled water every month.
- A water pitcher saves both money and space in your home if you compare it to a water dispenser. Water dispensers are expensive, bulky, and you still need to buy the water and drag it from the store to your home. A water filter pitcher eliminates all of these problems. Still, a supreme instant hot water dispenser can do wonders.
Signs That You Need a Water Filter Pitcher
If you aren’t sure whether your home needs this product, here are some tell-tale signs that it does:
- The tap water has a weird smell.
- It tastes bad.
- It has a color.
- When drinking tap water, your stomach bloats.
Or if it’s a well-known fact that the tap water in your area is contaminated with certain heavy metals. But even if none of these signs is present in your home, owning such a product will still purify the water more than it comes straight out of the tap.
If you think you’re interested in other methods to improve water, you can check out our reviews on countertop water filters for any kitchen.
Maintenance Of a Water Filter Pitcher
Cleaning and maintaining a water filter pitcher is relatively simple. No matter what brand you buy, it must come with instructions about assembling it, cleaning it, how to treat the filter, which filters are good replacements, and what is the filter’s durability.
Usually, a filter lasts up to 40 gallons of water or about two months. This means that whichever comes first – the 40 gallons or two months, it should be replaced. So it all depends on the intensity of use.
When you’re looking for a pitcher, don’t forget to check how much the replacement filters cost and if they are easy to find and buy. Some manufacturers’ replacement filters cost almost as much as the entire pitcher + filter. You can calculate how many filters and how often you’ll need to buy them based on your family’s water intake.
If your filter speed decreases after a while, take the filter out and clean it. Some particles and pollutants may have clogged it even before its replacement time comes if the water is filthy. However, if after cleaning the filter, the speed doesn’t change, it’s time to replace it.
Otherwise, cleaning your water filter pitcher once a week should be more than enough.
Installation of The Water Filter Pitcher
The process varies according to the model, but usually, the steps are identical.
- Submerge and soak the filter in cold water for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the filter and insert it in the pitcher top.
- Fill with water and wait for the filtration process to end.
- Repeat Step 3. three times to activate the filter.
- Throw away the water, or water your plants as it’s not yet ready for drinking.
- Then your pitcher is ready to use.
Some filters don’t need to be soaked. Read the instructions before installing the filter.
Safety Tips For The Product
There are no special safety measures to take when installing or using your water filter pitcher. Be careful when carrying around a full pitcher as the bigger ones can get very heavy and hard to carry with one hand. Support the pitcher with your other hand to prevent hurting your arm.
Also, it’s good not to forget to change the filter as with time and the gallons of water it purifies, some of the bad things it eliminates can build up on the filter and have the reverse effect, or simply prevent it from working at all.
Drawbacks of Water Filter Pitchers
We already listed the features and benefits of owning and using such a product, but let’s mention the disadvantages as well.
The main drawbacks for some people might be:
- The slow filtration process. Having to wait some time to drink your water can be annoying. This puts an irritating aspect on water filter pitchers that some people cannot overlook. However, filling your pitcher at night will provide you clean water in the morning without staring at it and waiting.
- Some filters are expensive and might not be worth it. It depends on the pitcher model.
- No water filter pitcher removes 100% of the metals and microorganisms from the water.
- The filter may remove some of the good minerals from the water.
As you see, everything has its good and bad sides, water filter pitchers also have advantages and disadvantages. Their beneficial features outweigh the bad ones by far. If you decide to invest in such a product, the most important takeaways are to have your water tested first, so you know what filter you need, and then to replace the filter regularly, so it doesn’t turn from your friend into your enemy.
Best Water Filter Pitchers Comparison Chart
|BWT 5 Cup WaterFilterPitcher||$||11 x 10.2 x 4.4||2.5 pounds||up to 50 Gallons||5 cups|
|Brita Everyday Pitcher||$$||5.4 x 10.7 x 10.1||2.29 pounds||40 gallons||10 cups|
|Ehm Ultra Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher||$$$||12 x 6 x 11||2.27 pounds||300L||3.8L|
|AquaGear Water Filter Pitcher||$$$$||11.5 x 11.4 x 6.6||3.02 pounds||150 gallons||10 cups|
|AquaBliss 10-Cup WaterFilterPitcher||$$||12 x 11.4 x 6.2||1.39 pounds||20 gallons per month||10 cups|
|Nakii Water Filter Pitcher||$$||11.4 x 8.5 x 4.3||1.8 pounds||150 gallons||7½ cups|
|LEVOIT Water Filter Pitcher||$$||11.6 x 6.7 x 10.8||1.96 pound||40 gallons||10 cup|
|Brita Stream Water Pitcher||$$||11 x 5.4 x 16.4||2.15 pounds||40 gallons||10 cup|
To sum up, we can say that a water filter pitcher can prove to be of great value for money. As you can see from our guide, there isn’t one best water filter pitcher. You have to look for the one that is best for your needs.
We know the internet is full of products and hundreds of reviews on them, but when you take the time to do your research well, you’ll find a pitcher that will be a worthy investment. Plus, when health is at stake, does it matter how much a water filter pitcher costs? No, what matters is that it is efficient in removing all the heavy metals and chemicals from it.
Hopefully, our water filter pitcher reviews and guide help you make the right decision. Everyone deserves to have fresh and safe drinking water in their homes.