Are you sick and tired of spending money on plastic water bottles? A small bottle is never enough to clench your thirst, and a big bottle is heavy and uncomfortable to carry around. These problems can be solved with the best filtered water bottle. You can find one that is the perfect size and shape for you and have clean water even while you’re on the road. Such a bottle will put an end to the never-ending demand for bottled water.
A filtered water bottle gives you the chance to refill it with water from everywhere and save you money on water. The filter inside the bottle removes a wide variety of common water contaminants and improves its taste. In order to help you find the right unit, we’ve done some research and some testing of some products on the market. We’ve prepared easy to read filtered water bottle reviews and a buying guide.
Who Needs a Filtered Water Bottle?
As their popularity grows, more and more people are choosing to buy filtered water bottles for various reasons. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks of these types of bottles and are worth investing in.
- People who live in areas with contaminated water. Unfortunately, in many areas, tap water is contaminated. The difference is in the type of contaminants in the drinking water. That’s why people may want to turn to a filtered water bottle for tap water purification.
- Athletes or people who exercise regularly. Also, people who jog often or are very active throughout the day and need a lot of water. A filtered water bottle is convenient and more inexpensive to have than buying bottled water on a daily basis. The plus is that it can be filled from anywhere and make any water drinkable.
- People who travel a lot. Water bottle with a filter for travel is perfect for international travel and local travel as well. You can use your filtered water bottle to drink the water in your hotel room. It’s more convenient to transport a bottle than a pitcher or spend money on bottled water. If you are into hiking or camping, on the other hand, you may want to check out our reviews on water purification tablets.
Why You Should Consider Buying a Filtered Water Bottle
Just like everything in the world, this type of product has its own advantages and disadvantages. Some are specific to each individual person, be it the color of the product, or the shape. But others are more generic and are common for most people.mHere we’ll mention some of the generic pros and cons of filtered water bottles.
Advantages of Filtered Water Bottles
People are choosing to invest in different types of filtration systems, as it is clear to them that it’s the more eco-friendly option for having fresh water. This includes filtered water bottles as well. It makes people feel good about themselves because they are helping the environment by looking for sustainable plastic alternatives. Using refillable water bottles reduces the demand for plastic watered bottles and the number of plastic bottles waste.
We tend to buy bottled water for our homes, offices, and ourselves while we’re out for a walk. That’s understandable because tap water is contaminated with harmful substances. But if we add up the costs of all the bottles, we realize it’s a lot. Having a filtered water bottle is a one-time investment that allows you to drink water from your tap, or anywhere else. Even buying replacement filters is still more cost-efficient.
Filtered water bottles are great when you are on the go and need to keep yourself hydrated. You can fill it from anywhere and it will clean the water for you, which regular plastic bottles don’t do. It’s convenient to use your filtered water bottle for hiking, traveling, sports, etc.
Disadvantages of Filtered Water Bottles
Harder to Drink
One of the disadvantages is that it’s harder to drink from such bottles. Especially from the ones that activate by sucking the straw. Another downside is that the water comes out at a slower rate, unlike drinking from regular bottles.
Not the Perfect Filtration Systems
Compared to large full-house filtration systems, reverse osmosis, or another, a bottle filter doesn’t purify the water much.
Especially the ones made from stainless steel or other sturdy material. Plus, the more extras they have, the heavier they are. And of course, they get heavier when they are full.
You can read more about reverse osmosis filtration system, and if you want, you can read some of our reviews on reverse osmosis products.
Best Filtered Water Bottles Comparison Chart
Epic Nalgene OG Water Filtration Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Brita Premium Filtering Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
JTTVO Filtered Water Bottle with Integrated 4 Stage Filter Straw
|View On Amazon|
GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle
|View On Amazon|
SurviMate Filtered Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
LifeStraw Universal Water Filter Bottle Adapter Kit
|View On Amazon|
Woder 24-Sur Survival Water Filter Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Best Filtered Water Bottle Reviews – (Updated List)
They are not reviews in a particular order. Simply listed for your convenience and time-saving.
1. Epic Nalgene OG Water Filtration Bottle
The Epic Nalgene OG Water Filtration Bottle is the ideal travel bottle. It’s very convenient for outdoor trips because it fits 32 ounces of water, which is more than other bottles on our list.
The bottle is made from hard, BPA-free plastic, which makes the bottle itself resistant to breaking due to dropping it. It’s a handy and satisfactory bottle for families with kids that drop everything.
What surprised us pleasantly was that the filter could remove up to 30% of the fluoride from the water. The filter can remove most of the harmful contaminants from the water.
It is one of the priciest bottles on our list, but the quality of the materials is evident, plus the filter can last up to two or three months depending on the use. Replacement filters can be pricey too, but they are great value for money and worth the investment.
- The filters are tested to NSF/ANSI Standards.
- It can be stored in the fridge.
- There are two filter options for your needs.
- It has a big opening and fills quickly and easily.
- It’s too big for standard car bottle holders.
- The filter and straw don’t go all the way to the bottom, and some sips are never filtered and are wasted.
2. Brita Premium Filtering Water Bottle
Brita Premium Filtering Water Bottle one of the more budget-friendly bottles on our list. The filter does a great job of removing bad taste from the water.
The design is very sleek and stylish, and you can choose a different color for the bottle. However, the bottle opening is a bit smaller than other bottles,’ and it is hard to clean it if you don’t have a dishwasher. But installing the filter in the straw is easy.
It’s not the biggest bottle on our list, it holds 26 oz of water. But that makes it light and easy to carry around even on longer walks. The cap seals it nicely and doesn’t allow for spills even if it’s upside down. It also sweats easily and doesn’t keep the water cold for long.
It’s worth the investment as it saves you a lot of money on buying bottled water, especially during travel.
- The slender design helps fit the bottle in any cup holder.
- The bottle can be washed in a dishwasher, but not the filter.
- The plastic bottle doesn’t smell, like other products do, and doesn’t make the water smell like plastic.
- The handle can break off easily.
- The bottle cap and the straw are hard to clean.
- Needs strong suction to get the water through the straw, not suitable for children.
3. JTTVO Filtered Water Bottle with Integrated 4 Stage Filter Straw
This filtered water bottle comes in a nice green color, and has a sleek and convenient design, with a capacity of 22 ounces. What we noticed is that you really shouldn’t fill the bottle above the limit line. It’s made this way so you can add the filter and straw without spilling water.
The JTTVO Filtered Water Bottle has a filtering accuracy of up to 0.01 micron due to its coconut shell activated carbon filter. It’s a huge advantage of the filter is the antibacterial beads. It removes chemicals and heavy metals, including fluoride and lead from the water.
Before using it for the first time, it is necessary to rinse the filter, but don’t disassemble it. If you don’t rinse it, the water will taste weird. It is also easy to clean it by hand and in a dishwasher. It has good insulation and manages to keep water cold for long periods, if not exposed to direct sunlight.
- The bottle has a small compass on the top, making it perfect for hiking.
- It also has a carabiner on top.
- You can buy a 40oz bottle if the 22oz is too small for you.
- The lid might loosen or snap off after a while.
4. GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle
The GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle is the most expensive one on our list, but there are several good reasons why. Unlike the other products on our list, this one doesn’t require hard sucking to get the filtered water out. It works by using your own bodyweight to press it and filter it.
This means that it filters the water without a straw, and you can transfer the purified water into another vessel. And this is a significant advantage for a filtered water bottle.
The filter does its job perfectly – it removes bad smell and taste, and common contaminants from the water. It needs to be replaced after approximately 300 uses which is a lot of time if you don’t use it very often.
It purifies the water quickly so you can quench your thirst almost immediately after pressing the filter.
- The bottle keeps the water cool for a long time.
- It is made from light plastic and isn’t heavy after filling it.
- Because of the design, there’s no unfiltered and wasted water.
- The bottle should only be hand washed.
- You mustn’t forget to unscrew the cap slightly to relieve the pressure when you start pressing it.
5. SurviMate Filtered Water Bottle
This is a smaller sized filtered water bottle that you can take on any hike. However, it’s a bit wider than a standard bottle, and you might have trouble putting it in a vehicle cup holder.
The SurviMate Filtered Water Bottle a good product, convenient for carrying around with its carabiner. All of the parts seem to be made from sturdy plastic, not some cheap material. It’s a useful filtered water bottle for hiking and travel and is at a fair price.
The filter has a 4-stage filtration, including medical-grade hollow fiber membrane and medical-grade PP cotton. It’s supposed to filter even bacteria from the water.
It does a good job of improving the water taste. It can be sensed with the first sips. It’s easy to change the filter and to wash the bottle, but it requires hard sucking to get the filtered water out.
- The product has a small compass on its top.
- You can choose the color of the bottle.
- Prompt customer service responses.
- You cannot fill it with hot or cold water.
- The filter doesn’t remove lead.
- The straw cap isn’t attached to the bottle in any way and can be lost easily.
6. LifeStraw Universal Water Filter Bottle Adapter Kit
The LifeStraw Universal Water Filter Bottle Adapter Kit is made from high-quality BPA-free plastic, with an unbelievably long filter life. It is simple to assemble and fits most types and sizes of bottles from the brand. Check which bottles the filter is compatible with before buying the kit.
However, we think that it’s best to use it on the smallest 22oz bottles. Because of the design, the filter doesn’t reach the bottom of the bottle even on the smallest one. This leaves some watered unfiltered and it’s just wasted.
It provides a high-grade filtering process but can be quite noisy at times. It’s worth the investment for two main reasons: the long filter life and its compatibility with different bottles.
- For every purchased product, the company donates clean, safe water to a child in need for a whole school year.
- The filter can be recycled, the carbon capsule cannot.
- The filter has the largest durability on our list of 1000 gallons.
- The kit includes two different caps for 100% protection against leaks.
- The water has a plastic taste the first few sips but it goes away.
- The activated carbon capsule has only 25 gallons, but after that, the filter will still work.
- It doesn’t filter fluoride.
7. Woder 24-Sur Survival Water Filter Bottle
This next product on our list is a standard sized- 24oz water filter bottle. The filter only has the capacity of cleaning up to 100 gallons, which is a lot less than the rest of the listed products have.
But what makes Woder 24-Sur Survival Water Filter Bottle unique, however, is its ionic filtration system. It removes up to 99.99% of the chemicals, metals, common water contaminants, VOCs, and smells.
It’s a very lightweight bottle, and it has a loop on top, and you can hook it to a carabiner easily. We liked how easy it was to set it up and get it working.
The bottle isn’t made from the sturdiest of plastic, the closing mechanism could have been designed a little better to be more leak-proof. It will do the job it’s meant to do – filter the harmful contaminants from your water and improve its taste. It will keep you from having stomach distress due to drinking filthy water while hiking.
- It may remove some arsenic from the water.
- It is tested to EPA protocols.
- Doesn’t give water a plastic taste even in the beginning.
- It can leak sometimes.
- Pressure on airplanes might cause it to overflow and leak, too.
8. Brita 20 Ounce Sport Water Bottle
The Brita 20 Ounce Sport Water Bottle is the smallest one on our list and has a capacity of 20 ounces. What is more, this bottle is made from soft plastic that you can easily squeeze to get your pure water. This makes it suitable for children, plus it can easily fit in small backpacks.
The replacement filters are cheaper than most on the list. However, the cap might be hard to open, and if it breaks, there are no replacement parts sold. Overall, it’s light and easy to use the filtered water bottle, it’s perfect for outdoors. It’s light even when it’s full and has a convenient strap to hold it by.
Don’t forget to rinse the filter before using it, so you don’t drink some of its loose carbon. The product might not be suitable for people who love to drink water in big gulps because it doesn’t have a strong flow rate.
- You get two 20oz bottles, both with filters.
- It’s made from soft plastic and won’t break if dropped.
- You can put ice in the bottle without damaging the filter.
- The drinking nozzles can be hard to clean even in a dishwasher.
How Do Filtered Water Bottles Work?
The bottles are designed in a way to have a special built-in model filter attached inside of it but how do water bottles with filters work? Every manufacturer designs and builds their bottles and filters in their own unique way.
Most of the products are designed to filter the water as you drink it. This is achieved by attaching a special straw to the filter. There are different ways of accomplishing that:
- The filtration system activates when you start to drink from the straw.
- Some bottles with this type of filtration method can also be activated by squeezing the bottle instead of sucking on the straw.
- While others are activated by pressing the filter inside the bottle.
There are also bottles designed to filter the water as you pour.
Regardless of the water filtration method, they all intend the same thing – to purify your water on the go. Each filtered water bottle has a different filtration system. Some have more than one filter and eliminate heavy metals, sediments, and chemicals from the water. Others are made only to remove the bad smell and taste.
Some filters can even remove bacteria and parasites from the water.
Make sure you read our other articles and reviews on various water purification products at our homepage. We at WaterFiltration.Solution strive to bring you the most up to date information regarding water cleansing.
Types of Filtered Water Bottles
When you begin your research for water bottles with filters, it is good to know that there are different types of the product. Not all bottles with filters are the same. Not all filters are the same, either.
The main difference in the types of bottles is the filtration system that they use. Mainly the water bottles with filters are sold with one of two types – a carbon filter or an ultraviolet on.
This one is used the most by various water bottle manufacturers. This type of filter is simple but also very efficient at removing most of the common water contaminants. Depending on how it’s made and if there are any additional layers, a carbon filter can reduce almost 99,99% of the harmful substitutes and bacteria. It simply filters out the particles by withholding them.
This type of filter is not used widely. It is more expensive and difficult to use. Plus, it makes the water bottles more inconvenient to use. It works by using UV rays to destroy the microorganisms and thus cleaning the water. To use a filtered water bottle with an ultraviolet filter, you need to carry the charger with you and charge when necessary.
If you’re interested in another type of water purification, you can check out our buying guide and reviews on portable water filters. We have also covered more immobile options such as top-rated refrigerator water filters.
The other difference is the material the bottles are made. There are several types of bottles on the market.
- Soft plastic – these bottles must be squeezed to get the filtered water out.
- Hard plastic – these bottles require sucking through a special straw to drink water.
- Stainless steel – these bottles also work with sucking from a straw.
Installation and Maintenance of Filtered Water Bottles
The installation of the bottle is simple, and the most common is – the filter is inserted in the straw. Then you twist the straw onto the bottle and drink. Replacing the filter happens the same way, unscrew the straw and take out the old one.
The simple installation and maintenance allow you to take your filtered water bottle for traveling abroad. You can set it, clean it, and refill it anywhere.
Most water bottles are dishwasher safe, but not the filter. Never put the filter in the dishwasher. But all types of bottles – plastic or steel – are fine to wash in your dishwasher. Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.
If you have trouble cleaning the straw, you may want to use a small brush to get to the tiny nooks and crannies.
In case you are into drinking cold water, remember to have a look at our best-quality water cooler list.
FAQ About Filtered Water Bottles
If I don’t use my bottle every day, will it still only last for 2-3 months?
Some filters can be re-activated, but others cannot. Re-activation works by submerging the filter in water for 10 to 15 minutes. However, to be 100% certain, you must check with the manufacturer.
Can bottle filters soften the water?
No. We haven’t heard of or tested a filtered water bottle that softens the water.
How do I know when to change the filter of my bottle?
Most or all products come with a specified filter life. It can be shown in time period or gallons capacity, or a certain number of refills. If you cannot keep track of either of these – time, gallons, refills – you can pay attention to the water bottle itself. When the water starts to feel filthy or get its bad taste back, then it’s time to change the filter.
Is my filtered water bottle ready to go?
For most products, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Most filters, regardless of their material or intended purpose, need to be rinsed before using. Some require you to have the first 5-8 sips of the water spit out.
Does the filter remove the beneficial minerals from the water?
No, it doesn’t.
Does the filter add good minerals to the water?
No, the carbon filters that are in most filtered water bottles on the market do not add minerals to the water. Nor do they change the pH.
As our article comes to an end, we hope the information here helps you make the right choice. We hope that you learned something useful and that thanks to us, you’ll choose the best filtered water bottle for you.
To sum up, the most important part of these products is the filter, so make sure to buy a good one. All other components’ importance depends on personal preference. Whether you want to have to such the water from the bottle or squeeze it, is up to you.
For any water bottle with a filter that you buy now that a single filter can replace around 300 or more plastic bottles. Unless the manufacturer otherwise states it. Think about what an impact that is on the environment. Not to mention that some of the filters are even recyclable.
Feel free to come back and re-read our buying guide and filtered water bottle reviews. If you are looking for a solution to provide enough safe drinking water for the whole family, then you may want to have a look at our reviews and guide on the best water filter pitchers.