- 1 Best Water Distillers Comparison Chart
- 2 Best Water Distillers 2020
- 2.1 1. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller
- 2.2 2. H2oLabs Best-In-Class Stainless Steel Water Distiller
- 2.3 3. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless
- 2.4 4. Mophorn Pure Water Distiller 4L Countertop Water Distiller
- 2.5 5. H2oLabs Most Convenient Water Distiller
- 2.6 6. ROVSUN 4L Countertop Water Distiller Machine
- 2.7 7. Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Counter Top Distiller
- 2.8 8. CO-Z 4 Liter Water Distiller
- 2.9 9. CNCShop Water Distiller Water Distillation Purifier
- 2.10 10. Waterwise 8800 Water Distiller Purifier
- 3 How Do Countertop Water Distillers Work?
- 4 What Is The Difference That Distilled Water Makes?
- 5 What To Look For In a Water Distiller?
- 6 Wrapping Up
Did you know that your water doesn’t have to pass through any media in order to be filtered? Yep, finding the best water distiller on the market will mean that you can have cleansed water using a process called condensation. This way you and your family will enjoy clean water without the need to install anything anywhere.
A distiller will just sit on top of your counter and will work on its own. Don’t miss out on our guide below because in it we have outlined the main advantages of water distillers. To make things even clearer for you, our crew has handpicked the top products on the market and have compiled some water distiller reviews.
See all the sections of our article and get informed. We simply aim at preparing you thoroughly for the purchase you are about to make. Enjoy the read.
Best Water Distillers Comparison Chart
Megahome Countertop Water Distiller
|View On Amazon|
H2oLabs Best-In-Class Stainless Steel Water Distiller
|View On Amazon|
Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless
|View On Amazon|
Mophorn Pure Water Distiller 4L Countertop Water Distiller
|View On Amazon|
H2oLabs Most Convenient Water Distiller
|View On Amazon|
ROVSUN 4L Countertop Water Distiller Machine
|View On Amazon|
Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Counter Top Distiller
|View On Amazon|
Best Water Distillers 2020
The first part of our guide will introduce you to the finest products available. Our experts have gathered a lot of information but have boiled it down to short write-ups for your convenience. We have listed the below products in no particular order.
1. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller
The Megahome Water Distiller is a higher class countertop distiller and is among the best ones. One of its main features is the full 304 stainless steel boil chamber – your water will not touch plastic. The collector of the distiller is made of glass which is another advantage. In addition, the product is UL listed. The manual filling is easy and safe. The capacity of the distiller is 1 gallon. You will get that much pure water in 5.5 hours.
The water is boiled to 212 degrees. This kills bacteria and parasites, removes toxins and contaminants. The device shuts off automatically when done. The distiller comes with a 1-year warranty and a set of 6 filters, which is enough for approximately 6 months. The manufacturer recommends changing the filters every 30 gallons. Overall, one of the more expensive distillers with the top-class distillation process.
2. H2oLabs Best-In-Class Stainless Steel Water Distiller
This is one of the most popular products of this manufacturer even though the price is a bit high. It just does a great job and has several useful features that make it a bestseller. First of all, it uses activated carbon pods 3 times in the filtering media. They also last 2 times longer. Those filters are very effective with the removal of VOCs.
The other great feature of this product, considering its price, is that the entire steam chamber and the length of the condensing coils are 100% steel 304. The plastic used in there is BPA-free and the distiller comes with a glass nozzle insert. Both the distiller and the carafe have large openings for easy cleaning with your hand. The device can make 4 gallons of pure water per day. 1 gallon would take about 4.5 -5 hours. This distiller also comes with an “Easy lift” glass carafe, a large jar of non-toxic cleaning crystal and a year’s supply of H2O Labs Exclusive Activated Carbon Pods.
3. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless
This is another great product from Megahome. It is among the more efficient distillers in its class and it will pay you back with healthy and tasty water in no time. The main difference from the other product of the same Glass Collection is that the whole body – interior and exterior of the distiller, is made of stainless steel. Needless to say, it has a glass collector.
The characteristics are not that much different. It produces 1 gallon of pure water in about 5.5 hours. The process of filtration goes through steam distillation and carbon filtration. During this process, toxins and contaminants are reduced and you will be truly surprised when you see what your water contained when you clean the device. It is good to clean the distiller every 10-30 gallons, depending on your water quality. For your safety, the distiller comes with a high-temperature thermostat and a thermal fuse. The set also includes activated charcoal sachets – 1 package of 6 filters for a 6 month supply. The warranty is 1 year.
4. Mophorn Pure Water Distiller 4L Countertop Water Distiller
There’s one of the budget-friendly solutions on the market that will provide you will tasty and purified water. The Mophorn Pure Water Distiller is a countertop device with a capacity of 4L. 1L per hour which makes 4 liters or 1 gallon in 4 hours. The distillation process can remove contaminants such as bacteria, particles, dissolved solids, and VOCs.
This unit is ideal for a smaller family or travelers as it has a small capacity and weighs less than 10 lb. The distiller itself is made of 304 stainless steel, so you don’t need to worry about the integrity of the unit. One small disadvantage of the product is the collector. It is made of plastic which is not the best decision. Still, the plastic is Food-grade BPA-free. In any case with a bit of more search, you can easily replace it with a glass one and still save money. Make sure to clean the collector and distiller regularly – this will prolong the life of the device.
5. H2oLabs Most Convenient Water Distiller
Advertised as the Most Convenient Water Distiller, this one is really easy to handle and with good functionality. It is lightweight, fills with ease and is energy efficient. The main advantage of this H2OLabs product is that it has a water-feed valve that provides a constant flow of water. What is even better – it will shut off automatically when 1 full gallon of water is generated.
Another advantage is that this is an all-in-one unit. The system comes with a Refill and Reset LED indicator. It takes about 5 hours for this distiller to produce 1 gallon, so if you use it 24/7 it can produce up to 5 gallons of purified water per day. The coil and cooling fins are made of stainless steel, but all the interior parts are plastic. Still, you won’t feel a plastic/rubbery taste at all as the plastic is of high quality – food-safe and BPA-free. A good upside of the device is the “stick-resistant” boiling tray. It will prevent buildups. Great product for elders and people that cannot lift heavy objects.
6. ROVSUN 4L Countertop Water Distiller Machine
ROVSUN 4L Countertop Water Distiller is a great and very efficient product for the price you pay. It has several advantages over other water distillers that make it a very good solution for home use and bigger families. First of all, the capacity of this unit is larger than usual. It produces 1 gallon of water in 4 hours which in total for the day is equal to almost 5 gallons of purified water. Since the reservoir needs to be filled and the distillation manually started, this number could be a little smaller.
The whole system is made of stainless steel including the interior. And what’s more, the nozzle includes a glass insert and the collector is also a glass one. So your water will never be in contact with plastic. The device includes 3 Activated charcoal sachets that remove most tap water contaminants. All parts have large openings for easy cleaning. And another considerable advantage is the integrated temperature safety switch that turns the machine off when it gets hotter than 300F.
7. Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Counter Top Distiller
As a Mini-Classic water distiller, this device is among the most compact products. It doesn’t need installation making it very convenient for small families and even for RVs. The high price of this product is a result mainly of the fact that the whole product is manufactured with stainless steel. The interior and exterior along with the filter tray are all made of steel. The carafe is a glass one. So basically the water never interacts with anything plastic which is a priority for some users.
The rate of this unit is around 1 gallon in 3.5 hours which makes it a fast device, appropriate for all sorts of uses. Overall, this is one of the more expensive distillers and the price of it is justifiable only with its full-steel set. Otherwise, it has the specifications of other, low-cost products that could also supply you with cleansed water.
8. CO-Z 4 Liter Water Distiller
This product is one of the budget options. So if you are looking for a cheap solution that has a high capacity and fair specifications, this distiller will meet your needs. The capacity of the device is 6 gallons per day or 1 gallon in for about 2.5 hours. On the other hand, the reservoir of the device can only fit 4L (1 gallon) and has to be filled manually. This should be considered when calculating your daily water supply.
In general, the process of filtration is fairly good. It includes heating, evaporation, and condensation allowing the system to produce water with good taste. The 50Hz 750W heating element helps to achieve faster distillation. Most contaminants, dissolved solids, and VOCs will be removed or at least significantly reduced. The interior of the distiller is made of 304 stainless steel. However, the carafe is plastic and a bit hard to handle when pouring from. The product comes with a 1-year warranty and free exchange if the item is defective.
9. CNCShop Water Distiller Water Distillation Purifier
This is another one of the low-cost distillers that come with added value for its price. Even though most of its parts are plastic, it will supply you with a sufficient amount of healthy water. CNC Shop’s heating tank and condenser coils are made of stainless steel. The device has a capacity of 4L and produces around 0.2 gallons per hour. Thus for 4 hours, you’ll have a full gallon and the daily supply is fairly sufficient – 3/4 gallons.
The CNC Shop distiller may look simple but is quietly effective and reliable. It removes trace chemicals and minerals such as fluoride and chloride, so it’s right up there with its high-end competitors. An additional useful feature is an automatic shut off. You can just leave the device be without supervision. Since most of the distiller’s parts are plastic there is one thing you can stop worrying about – rust. In any case, be sure to maintain it properly and clean the unit after 7 cycles of distillation.
10. Waterwise 8800 Water Distiller Purifier
Waterwise offers you a super easy to handle water distiller that has one very convenient feature. It’s the LCD display that you can use to set up your device and have your first coffee made using great tasting water. What’s more – it allows you to stop the process when you run out of drinking water, pour out some and start the device again. Plus it will inform you if something is wrong or if you need to change the carbon filters.
Expect this to happen once every 3 months. The specifications of this distiller are alright. It has the stainless steel interior and the capacity is overall good. The device produces 1 gallon of cleansed water in 4 hours so its full capacity is 6 gallons for 24 hours. What some users might not like is the plastic carafe and the space the system takes because of its design. Keep in mind, though, that the plastic is BPA-free. A great thing is the carbon filters – they will reduce most of the contaminants of your water.
How Do Countertop Water Distillers Work?
When we talk about drinking purified water we typically imagine using one of the top-notch countertop water filtration systems available on the market. In this case, though, we will focus on another way to get rid of contaminants in the water. Countertop water distillers work in a different way in comparison to water filters because here we are talking about a process involving high temperatures.
We will get into far more detail below so keep reading and see exactly what takes place when you opt to buy such a device. The fact that the unit resembles a kettle shouldn’t surprise you because after all, water will be heated and it will be poured out.
The operation starts by taking the lid off. You are to pour the water all the way to the “full” marker. This would typically be some sort of a drawn mark on the wall of the distiller. Pop the lid back on and align the spout of the distiller with the jug. Plug the device in and start it. Give it a few hours and you will have some purified, distilled water.
But what actually happens inside your convenient water distiller? Well, all single-effect distillers work in the same way. The general principle of all distillers regardless of size and complexity is absolutely the same. The one on your countertop does the following:
A single-stage domestic distiller requires you to pour the water manually. Then, after a few quick settings, the machine is ready to work. A plumbed distiller, on the other hand, is connected to a water supply and it continuously distills water until stopped.
A heating element heats the water until it boils. So far nothing special happens. The only difference is that the water is located in a closed area and the steam is directed a certain way. In fact, the steam is drawn away from the chamber in which the water boils.
This is done so that the steam can cool off. The process is known as condensation. It happens all over the world all the time. We see it in nature when rainfall occurs for example. Knowing such facts when trying to choose a water distiller for a home can be quite useful sometimes.
Thanks to the huge temperature and the fact that the water becomes steam, we say that it has been highly treated. This leads to a lot if not all, contaminants and bacteria to be removed from the water. Now you perhaps see why water distillation is popular. It provides a nice alternative to water filtration thanks to the specifics of its process:
- Water is poured into the device
- The device is sealed tightly and turned on
- Water boils in a chamber inside the unit
- The steam is drawn away from the chamber so that it can cool off
- When the cooling is enough, condensation occurs
- Water becomes liquid again but without contaminants
As we have mentioned “cooling off” so much, please check out our top water coolers selection.
There are a number of industrial-grade water distillers that we are not going to discuss in detail. Their principle of work is pretty much the same but they also feature way more parts and some specific components. The bottom line is that the distillation process takes place as described above.
What Is The Difference That Distilled Water Makes?
Why would we even go through the hassle of cleansing water or filtering in the first place? Simple, we want to have better health or simply enjoy some tasty water without any odors. Not to mention that contaminated water is especially bad for children when they grow.
In that sense, we will highlight some of the more important benefits of distilled water. The following section will be displayed in the form of water distillers’ pros & cons because we will definitely list a few disadvantages as well.
- Disease prevention – it has been proven that municipal water contains a huge number of contaminants, viruses, pesticides, and others. In all fairness, such substances can cause a wide array of illnesses, birth defects, and organ problems. A number of medical centers have found out that copper in drinking water may lead to Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Distilled water is perhaps the purest – since your water will not undergo any sort of artificial filtration, it will be innately clean. Carbon filters, coconut shell media and all sorts of membranes will inevitably “add” something to your drinking water. Not to mention that it has to pass through pipes. This is the case with both whole house filtration systems and under sink water filters. When you distill your water on your countertop you actually use a device and a jug – no pipes. Furthermore, the process involves steam and condensation. This gets as close as possible to the water cycle which happens with water on Earth. It is a natural way for water purification and it shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Contaminants are killed – the high temperature will not allow anything to survive. What’s more, fluoride is removed as well. This is a huge advantage because most filtration systems cannot deal with it. Once the water turns into steam, fluoride is also gone.
- Distilled water battles your body toxins – yes, distilled water is not only tasty but it will also help your body. Regular filtered water will not harm you as it is pure but here we are talking about water which actually gets rid of some of the toxins in your body.
- The lack of minerals is not crucial – often times you will hear people saying that our body requires minerals found in water. They also claim that processed water lacks those minerals and that’s bad for your health. While this is true, it is also true that you obtain plenty of minerals from your food on a daily basis. Drinking distilled water will not deprive you of any useful substances unless you refuse to eat.
- Statistically, your water will be cheaper- if you go out and buy bottled water only, you will definitely spend more money than distilling it yourself. Even though you have to make an initial investment in the distiller you will be using, the math is still there. In fact, you will end up paying about twice as cheap for a distilled gallon of water in comparison to buying a jug from the store. Not to mention that plastic bottles are bad for the environment.
- Other uses – filtered water is somewhat limiting to what people can do with it. You can easily check and decide which water filtration system is good for you but you should know that such water is good only for washing, cooking or drinking. Distilled water, on the other hand, has a number of other applications including scientific research, production of beverages and also in the perfume industry.
This is where we will stop with all the benefits of water distillers and will take a look at some of the disadvantages of constant drinking of distilled water. It is important to note that nothing in this world is 100% useful and healthy. That’s why we must remember to take everything in moderation.
- Substance deficiencies – if you drink distilled water only, you are in danger of having your potassium, sodium and magnesium levels drop significantly. You can get the most useful minerals from food but nothing substitutes natural water.
- Energy efficiency is a problem – at the end of the day, you will need a lot of electricity in order to power your distiller only to produce about 4 gallons of cleansed water. Not only that you need a lot of power but you also create some extra carbon emissions and that is deteriorating to the environment.
- Takes time – oh, boy, isn’t that process slow? Yep, you will require 1 whole day in order to get just about 4-5 gallons of water. Those countertop water distillers are convenient but are definitely not lightning fast. When you are in a sudden need of cleansed water, you might not have any. Meeting the demand of a whole family for purified water will be a tough assignment when using a domestic distiller.
- The taste is not that good – it really is flat. Distilled water has all sorts of odors removed but the natural taste of water is also gone. This can be a deal-breaker for a number of people. You should check out more water distillers consumer reports in order to see even more advantages and disadvantages of these devices.
What To Look For In a Water Distiller?
It is important to always have access to some synthesized information especially when it comes to such a broad topic as water filtration. This is why here you will find some outlines on the most crucial features of a water distiller. Here’s what to watch for:
The Boil Chamber
You don’t want this component to be made out of plastic. In fact, make sure that as many components of your distiller as possible are steel. The unit will become really hot and heated plastic doesn’t bode well with fresh water. Plastic will release chemicals into your water over time. Additionally, the plastic cover will deteriorate and likely melt because of the temperature.
Some units come with sachets or little compartments where some sort of media is inserted. This will aid in your water purification endeavors. What happens is that you combine the work of a water filter with the one of a distiller. Basically, those sachets may add all sorts of useful substances to your already cleansed water.
This is generally a problematic topic when it comes to water distillers’ advantages. Why? Well, because it isn’t an advantage. The finest units in that class, however, might produce a gallon in about 2.5 hours. That’s the fastest you will be able to get. If you like the other features of such a device, then simply buy it. Other than that, you are looking at about 4-5 hours per gallon of fresh water.
Water filtration is a very broad topic in which people can often become lost but you do not have to be. That’s because you can find a totally alternative way to cleanse your water once you gain possession of the best water distiller on the market.
Our hope is that the guide you just read has swayed you one way or another when it comes to selecting the product best for you. Our water distiller reviews were constructed especially for that purpose – to give you concise but right-on-point information.
Feel free to let us know whether you liked the article or not. Leave us a comment because your feedback is exceptionally valuable to us. Please check our other guides such as top-notch refrigerator water filters, too. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!